Why Google is not popular in China?

Discussion in 'Google SEO' started by seobuzz, October 30, 2015.

1. seobuzz

seobuzzNew Member

Market dominance of Google is very clear around the globe except for the Chinese territory. When Google can dominate the whole search world, why it is loosing its ground to Baidu in China? Do you know any specific reason for this?

aimayaram likes this.
  2. aimayaram

aimayaramMember

I think it's simply banned or redirected to Chinese search engines, the same way as they ban Facebook. To use some websites, the Chinese are forced to go through proxies, from England for example, but their browser becomes very slow then. They finally decide to just use what is provided to them by the Government. They also blacklist some keywords such as "google".

pwarbi likes this.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbiMember

That's exactly the reason. The Chinese government don't like google (or many companies) so the site is either banned altogether, redirected to other Chinese sites, or if people are being brave, they'll access Google illegally so it will only be for a few minutes at a time.

adminenforums likes this.
  4. nice2cu

nice2cuMember

Exactly, and Chinese Government aim to limit information within Chinese network. I think a search engine called Baidu is being used widely in China, which is of Chinese origin. It is the popular substitute for Google in China. It is also heard that Google and Chinese Government are not in good terms. Google doesn't like the Chinese Government's aggressive attitude in asking Google to collect and provide user information to the Government. The Chinese internet is in a self sustainable mode now and even most of the Chinese people are quite satisfied by it when Baidu is already there to take the place of Google. So, the Chinese people just allow it to happen.

5. Neil_Fisher

Neil_FisherMember

Youtube belongs to Google and China banned Youtube. I dont think it is for political purposes but it is for profit purposes. China decided to make their own knock offs of Facebook, Twitter and Google so they can get profit out of it. China wont earn from their own social networks if they dont ban the biggest competition. Heck I heard they banned Grumpy Cat because China is also trying to make a local Chinese cat to be their own cat meme.

bharath likes this.
  6. bharath

bharathMember

China is the best in IT industry for taking all things for Govt unlike Indian Govt is stupid to have scam companies.
    They have made correct decision to ban those companies because of profit should reach for their own country while my country India doesn't did anything.
    An example
    On Ebay I see the product it will be sold for 500 Rs but the same guy sells the product on Amazon for 600 Rs. I am not getting what is the difference between them.

Its nice chineese Govt made great decisions to have more profits for them.

If Indian Govt opens a shopping cart just like an Ebay then there would be much profits for them, but stupid Govt won't do such things.

7. Neil_Fisher

Neil_FisherMember

They deprived their citizens their freedom of internet usage though. Internet should be free and people should have rights to visit the websites that they wanted to visit. I know some Chinese citizens were able to access Google and all of it's websites by using VPN but it is risky because they can get jailed because of it.