Difference Between .Com and .Net

Discussion in 'Domain' started by prissanna, November 30, 2015.

1. prissanna

prissannaMember

I have read that the .net means network even though anyone can use it. Would it be crazy to use a .net for a blog even if it's not about network stuff? I'm contemplating doing so but want to make sure it would be easily found and/or remembered. I'm so used to everything being .Com that I don't know if I would remember that a particular site I found was a .Net. Thoughts?

2. bharath

bharathMember

Com has everything, if a com domain is already registered, having a blog, then you can't able to start blog on dot net domain.
    Most people directly go to the dot com domain instead of dot net domain.
    Dot com domain will be going to sell higher price than dot net even though it is undeveloped.

challengewriter likes this.
  3. Jason76

Jason76New Member

If you have a .net, or for that matter, any extension that isn't a .com, you're going to have to emphasize the domain extension in advertising. For instance, .net domain would have to be advertised as .net domain. On the other hand, .com domain could just use Joe's SEO Service in marketing.

It's still popular with a lot of hosting companies, as it sort of implies computer stuff like .io.

The majority of users use it to represent non-computer related subject matter. To them, it might just be short for the internet. In that case, it's no different than a .site or .website.

Last edited by a moderator: June 26, 2017