Is it wise to use the same username and password for all Google applications?

Discussion in 'Google SEO' started by nice2cu, December 8, 2015.

1. nice2cu

nice2cuMember

As you already know that you can use the same user name and password for any Google applications, be it Gmail, Picasso, Google Map, YouTube etc. But is it safe from a security point of view?

I don't think we are left with any other option, but to use the same username and password everywhere. But if it is not there, I think Google should give an option to use different username and password for each applications. Even username could be the same, but there has to be an option to choose different passwords. So, ultimately user should have the freedom to go with the same details or use separate passwords.

In the current scenario if anybody happens to know your username and password, the whole world of Google is open before him. That could be a potential danger in some cases. I wonder if there is any option to keep different passwords for Google applications?

2. Neil_Fisher

Neil_FisherMember

I use one Gmail account and password for all my google services. As long as no one knows my real name, I feel safe. A hacker needs your Birthday and real name to hack you and change your password. The only Google services I use are Gmail, Blogger, and Youtube. My blogger displays a different name and so does my Youtube account. I don't really need to make multiple accounts because I know the things to avoid so I won't be on the radar of hackers.

3. pwarbi

pwarbiMember

One of the oldest rules regarding passwords was never use the same one to access more than one account, but that's exactly what Google have made us do.

While personally I don't think it is safe, but what's the alternative? Stop using Google services altogether? Somehow I can't see people doing that.

4. Neil_Fisher

Neil_FisherMember

Making multiple google accounts doesn't sound practical neither. Google is so strict when it comes to registration because they now request for information that is too personal like a cellphone number. That one may work for people with multiple phones but I am not a hoarder of gadgets. I think you should not worry about having a single universal Google account as long as you are not stupid enough to click phising links or reveal your real identity.

5. bharath

bharathMember

Google themselves made to mix Gmail with Youtube, Picasso and Blogspot. When they are different I was using same email with different username and passwords, but Google forced me to choose the same for all accounts.
    I kept alternate email with phone number as an security option from hackers.

6. nice2cu

nice2cuMember

I think Google is doing this just to enhance our user friendliness with Google, but it could have an adverse effect sometimes. As a matter of fact we are left with no other option, but to follow it. What we can do is to keep our password as complex as possible and note it down offline. We should ensure its safe custody and under any circumstances we should not share it with anybody else. Another step is to change it at regular intervals.

You can also increase safety of your Gmail account by incorporating your mobile number. If there is an attempt to hack your account at least Google will let you know that by mobile. I think that will give an added security advantage.

7. pwarbi

pwarbiMember

The security of a password though is for me, more important than a password making a site easier to use. While I can see why Google have linked all their sites together with one password, no matter what extra security measures they have put in place, it's just the basic principle of one password to access all your sites I don't like.

8. nice2cu

nice2cuMember

I think what Google focuses is user friendliness. But that can be a potential danger too if we do not use it judiciously. I share the same feelings you have and do not support this feature. At least there should be an option to use different username and passwords. Yes, you may feel very comfortable in using the same details to access a host of features from Google, but you cannot rule out the potential threat hidden.

I think the only viable solution is to take ownership of your account. Apply adequate preventive measures like changing of password at regular intervals, using complex and long passwords, avoid using anything common as password (as your name or date of birth) etc. could go a long way in ensuring a safe journey with Google and associated products. You should also be very careful about phishing sites. A wrong movement from you could land all your Google related accounts in danger.

pwarbi likes this.
  9. nice2cu

nice2cuMember

I think what Google focuses is user friendliness. But that can be a potential danger too if we do not use it judiciously. I share the same feelings you have and do not support this feature. At least there should be an option to use different username and passwords. Yes, you may feel very comfortable in using the same details to access a host of features from Google, but you cannot rule out the potential threat hidden.

I think the only viable solution is to take ownership of your account. Apply adequate preventive measures like changing of password at regular intervals, using complex and long passwords, avoid using anything common as password (as your name or date of birth) etc. could go a long way in ensuring a safe journey with Google and associated products. You should also be very careful about phishing sites. A wrong movement from you could land all your Google related accounts in danger.