How to choose the best VPS hosting providers?

Discussion in 'VPS Hosting' started by Grant, November 1, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Grant

GrantNew Member

There is always a urge among the webmasters to opt for the best VPS hosting providers, because it costs more compared to normal hosting. So if any webmasters want to choose the better VPS hosting, what are the factors that he/she should consider?

2. aimayaram

aimayaramMember

I didn't try any other than Digital Ocean, because the price is low : 5 USD per month for 512 Mb RAM. The others were more expensive. Apart from that, I don't know if the quality is best. My website is not heavy, it's a blog with a few stories, and minimal amount of modules, it's on Drupal 7. I think the performance got better when I moved it from Singapore to USA. At the same time, I upgraded it from Fedora 20 to Fedora 21. Also there were frequent attempts to log in by password on it, thousands per minute, so I disabled root and password access, to only be able to log in via SSH without password. This increased the performance. Also, I used a cron script to restart the database every hour, otherwise it fails and the website looks down. Since then, it's pretty fast.

3. nice2cu

nice2cuMember

I think the most important point to consider is the RAM capacity and hard drive you would be required to run your show. For example if you want to install several applications on VPS you should need more than 2GB RAM. This should be decided keeping mind your future requirements too. You should also be careful in assessing the backup options available with VPS service provider. That becomes very important if you deal with sensitive data. If you use a CMS, that would demand more CPU and RAM than a simple website.

Most importantly study the company's track record before taking a final decision. If you end up with a low customer oriented company, you may have to bear huge losses in future.

4. bharath

bharathMember

I have got one from Freevps dot us and never used because of not enough space for installing everything. Its better to buy maintained VPS than normal VPS as we can have enough time if something goes wrong.

I suggest to you buy more than 512MB ram because it can handle everything.

5. challengewriter

challengewriterActive Member

1&1 is a good service and it has fairly cheap, and it offers a 1 month trail to check it out. I think it is good, my friend is using them and he is using it smoothly.

Last edited: December 19, 2015