Are you able to differentiate American and Canadian accents?

Discussion in 'North America' started by Neil_Fisher, January 30, 2016.

1. Neil_Fisher

Neil_FisherMember

Aside from the stereotype of saying a lot of "eh's" on their sentences, It is really hard for me to differentiate the difference between Canadian and American accents. There are different distinct accents in the US but most Canadian accents seemed to have more similarities with the Standard American accents used on movies.

There are many Canadian actors in Hollywood and it is so easy for them to assimilate to American movies because their accents can easily blend in. Most Canadian accents I hear reminds me of how people in from the Western regions in the US sounded.

Is there a way for me to recognize the difference of the Canadian accent.

It is easier for me to differentiate the accents of English,Scottish, Irish,Australian and New Zealander people.

2. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal WriterMember

Iam not an American nor a Canadian. But these are the facts I know about Canadian and American way of speaking.

All words containing the [au] sound are pronounced with something like in Canadian English. They use the exclamation "eh" and to use words that Americans don't. They say the last letter in the alphabet as "zed" which is "zee".

Canadians, like New Englanders, tend to use a slightly different "a" sound, in words like can't, past, dad, etc. It often, though not always, sounds a bit closer to "ah" than the general american "aa."

3. MAJID KALANI

MAJID KALANINew Member

To me as a foreigner living outside of the united states of America and Canada, It is very difficult to distinguish the different accents of American and Canadian people.

However, I think there have to be some differences when I look at their original films or movie series showing that their cultures are different in some aspects. Even politically and socio-economic factors in both countries are different. Maybe the different is enormous when you move across both countries in terms of culture, ethnicity groups, previous people and geographic divisions.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2016
  4. nailah783

nailah783New Member

There isn't really a set American accent. It depends on which state a person comes from, and where they spent puberty. Because people from two different states can sound so different, it would be difficult to recognize the differences from two different countries that are so similar. There are a lot of celebrities from Canada who make it just fine in the US. I think that is because they can blend in with the American way of life.

5. K Jones

K JonesNew Member

America has so many accents within its own borders it's uncanny. I would say one big difference in the CA and USA accent is the pronunciation of the letter O - the long O especially.

Sometimes it is hard to tell the difference between CA and USA accents when listening to accents of people who live in the midwest USA. I'm sure Canada has their own melting pot of accents like the USA and UK do. But people from outside of those borders don't instantly recognize the difference.