What to donate in Goodwill and how to find Goodwill location?

Discussion in 'USA' started by adminenforums, November 12, 2016.

?

Do you donate used things?

1. I donate things.

2. I resale things.

3. I give things to someone I knew.

4. I throw things in garbage.

5. Others

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. adminenforums

adminenforumsAdministratorStaff Member

What to donate Goodwill and how to find a list of Goodwill locations near you?

What to Donate? - clothing, shoes, accessories, handbags and luggage, jewelry, clean domestics (such as curtains, linens, bedspreads, blankets, area rugs), books (such as except old encyclopedias and old marked-up textbooks), sports and other trading card, records, CDs, videos and DVDs, electronics (such as Cd and DVD player, game system, radios), computers and peripherals, flat screen televisions, phones (such as including cell phones), small working appliances (such as blenders, mixers, microwaves, toasters, toaster oven), housewares (such as dishes, glasses, flatware, utensils, vases, lamps), art (such as painting, photographs, lithographs), antiques, collectibles, knick-knacks and decorations, sporting goods and bicycles, clean stuffed animals and toys.

What not to Donate? - anything broken, damaged or not working (such as except computers or electronics0, tube televisions, furniture, mattresses and futons, large appliances (such as refrigerators, stoves, washer-dryers, air conditioning units), large exercise equipment, automobile parts of any kind (such as tires, rims, hubcaps), bathroom and kitchen fixtures hazardous materials (such as paint, household chemicals, insecticides), perishable items (such as food, medicine, out-of-date cosmetics), gas-powered equipment (such as gas, grills, lawnmowers), medical equipment (such as except walkers and wheelchairs in good condition), baby equipment or furniture (such as strollers, car seats, carriers, cribs, playpens, play yard), toys (such as except collectibles, antiques and clean stuffed animals), children's clothing with metal, painted applique or drawings, children's jewelry, unsafe children's items ( such as puzzles and games with small pieces, weapons (such as guns, knives, swords, ammunition, recalled items.

You can search Goodwill location on Google, Bing, Yahoo, and Goodwill website.

2. larryl332

larryl332New Member

Well if you live anywhere like I do the chances are that there are a couple of Goodwill stores sprinkled around, but that might just be a local thing. I do like their stores though, and it is great to see your old items go to use.

3. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyNew Member

We usually donate any used items that we do not need; but that someone else could still use. Since my husband is a Vietnam Nam veteran, we donate to the thrift store that is run for the veterans association and not just to the Goodwill. When you look at the money charts for Goodwill, they seem to pay their directors excellent money, but not a lot actually goes to help out needy people, and they charge for everything they receive. Most thrift stores, when they are run by a rescue mission, or another Christian group, will also give clothing, or other needed items , to homeless people who are living at a rescue mission; but Goodwill does not do that.
    Another interesting thing that Goodwill has started doing is selling items on Amazon. I have purchased several books on Amazon that were listed by a Goodwill store.
    I actually think that this is a great idea, and a good way for people to find older books that might be out of print.

4. larryl332

larryl332New Member

The things that I love to browse the Goodwill stores for are the smaller household items that kind of go forgotten about, like little dishes or lamps and things like that. Given this, I try to give those types of things when I run my course with them.

5. Shana Peckover

Shana PeckoverNew Member

Goodwill is awesome. We donate items throughout the year, and shop there as well. We have found some really great deals there. What's great about our local store is that they announce the name of the organization that proceeds will be benefiting over the loud speaker. Goodwill stores are all over the place in San Antonio. I have never had a problem locating one.