What strategies to follow for parents of children with ADHD?

Discussion in 'General Forums and Chat' started by adminenforums, February 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. adminenforums

adminenforumsAdministratorStaff Member

Follow these strategies for parents of children with ADHD.

1) Maintain a daily schedule with routine activities at the same time of day.
    2) Limit sensory distractions (e.g., loud music, video games, computer, and television).
    3) Create an organization plan for your house and have specific spots for leaving school work, toys, clothes, etc.
    4) Set small, attainable goals. Develop and use a visual system when possible.
    5) Help your child stay on task with simple instructions and friendly reminders; congratulate them when they follow through.
    6) Limit choices. Your child will like options but limit them to two or three so that your child does not get overwhelmed or frustrated.
    7) Find activities that can help promote social skills. For many children, team sports may not be the best option. If this is the case, look for more individually directed group activities like swimming or karate, or less competitive group activities like scouts. For some children, it may work best to simply invite a friend over for a play date.
    8) Find something that your child is good at and help promote it (such as drawing, puzzles, Legos, or raising pets). Encourage your child to make this activity something over then video games.
    9) reward positive behavior. Kind words, praise, hugs, and small rewards both promote appropriate behavior and help children feel good about themselves.
    10) Use calm discipline. Redirect children to another activity when they are being disruptive. Make sure your child calm before talking to them about inappropriate behavior.
    11) Most importantly, enjoy your child by spending time with them, playing with them, and doing fun activities.

Last edited: February 21, 2017
  2. Shana Peckover

Shana PeckoverNew Member

All of the tips that you listed in your post are great for any parent trying to raise a child with ADD/ADHD. My son was diagnosed when he was in 4th grade. By 2nd grade, his teachers were already commenting on how easily distracted he was, and how he was constantly needing re-direction.
    I was in denial. I didn't want to "medicate" my son. I started by changing his diet, modifying his schedule, and keeping him active. This worked somewhat. By 6th grade, he asked about trying medication. He successfully completed high school with very few bumps while taking Adderall for his symptoms.
    He also played baseball throughout school and was an avid skater (skateboards). Staying active was a key factor in successful treatment.
    He is 24 years old, working successfully, in a relationship and is no longer taking Meds to control symptoms. He still struggles with being easily distracted, but overall is in control of his symptoms.