Why would anyone use Yahoo?

Discussion in 'Yahoo SEO' started by KenBrace, November 19, 2015.

1. KenBrace

KenBraceNew Member

This is something I've always wondered.

What does Yahoo have that Google and Bing don't?

The only time I ever have Yahoo as my homepage is when I accidentally install malware on my computer and it (quite annoyingly) resets my home page info.

Yahoo's search results aren't good and the UI isn't as clean as Google or Bing.

Anyone else feel the same?

pwarbi likes this.
  2. bharath

bharathMember

Yahoo search results were different compared to Google and its hard to rank in SERP. Yahoo answers are really great in the world that none has such type results.

3. pwarbi

pwarbiMember

I'm also not sure why anybody would want, or prefer to use Yahoo search as opposed to Google as a user to search the internet.

Also, if you are the owner of a site, your ranking on Google is more important than your ranking on all the other search engines put together, so Google surpasses Yahoo on both counts in my opinion.

nice2cu likes this.
  4. nice2cu

nice2cuMember

I agree with your point. It is just like the monopoly of Google now. We can't even think of a day without Google and it has so much impact in our lives. But I wonder why anybody use Yahoo now. May be because of some emotional attachment or they are used to it.

I never use Yahoo nowadays and at the same time there is not a single day without Google in my life. When I can do everything with Google at lightening speed, why should I bother for another search engine. You will get Google results in a matter of seconds and that is quite amazing I think. As you rightly pointed out in the case of a site owner, Google ranking is more important for him. I think another thing is the innovative features Google keeps on introducing day after day. They really work hard to make it a better place to stay.

pwarbi likes this.
  5. indi5k

indi5kNew Member

Why would anyone use Yahoo

Decent question actually. I had to think for a moment as to is yahoo still a function site, or just a thing of the past. However, I do recall a time when people lived and died by yahoo. Now all you see is Google. To be honest this thread is the first ive heard about Bing in ages also. Google most definitely has the "search engine" space sowed up so to speak. I will say this though, my Facebook login email is (blank_blank2002 @ yahoo.com) lol. Funny thing is I haven't logged into that email since around 2002. So if that doest speak to the use of Yahoo I don't know what will.

Last edited by a moderator: December 2, 2015
  6. Peter97

Peter97Member

To be fair, yahoo have "yahoo answers" which is by far the best website in this genre, and they also still have yahoo mail (however I've not seen many people use this, as its all about gmail, and Hotmail nowadays.) I'm going to be honest here, and admit that I've never used yahoo's search engine, not was I aware that it still had one.

Another good feature which yahoo has, is the news section, which I actually think is better than googles alternative, Google news. I've actually used this, and answers quite alot in the past, however, I still think yahoo is nowhere near as sophisticated as Google, or even bing for that matter.

KenBrace likes this.
  7. monica123

monica123New Member

I agree. Results in yahoo are more comprehensive.

8. bharath

bharathMember

When I was new to internet using Yahoo and hotmail emails, once Gmail arrived switched to it. Personally in those days I was using Yahoo search engine and the results are good, but in these days nothing.

In some forums heard people are selling SEO for Yahoo search engine. I never saw the traffic from yahoo in my analytics.

Last edited: December 2, 2015
    KenBrace likes this.
  9. KenBrace

KenBraceNew Member

This is true. Although personally I tend to use forums instead of Yahoo Answers. If I have an interest in a subject then I'm likely a member on a related forum. So if I have a question of some sort then I typically just post something on the forum and then discuss it with the various members. It's a much more open environment where you can talk about the issue back and forth until you've gotten the answer you need. Answer sites are pretty stringent. You get several answers and that's it. You can't really ask for clarification or respond with a follow up question.

Peter97 and bharath like this.
  10. Peter97

Peter97Member

I totally agree with you, I have used yahoo answers on numerous occasions, and many times, I have been left with followup questions to ask to the people who answered, however there is was way to do that. On the other hand, many people wouldn't have the time to create a forum account, and ask questions on a new forum for each topic. And I think yahoo answers is good, in the sense that it is a universal platform, where you can ask anything, any time, and you will get an almost instant answer, unlike with some forums, where people may not know the answer, or may not see your thread till the next day.

11. Neil_Fisher

Neil_FisherMember

Yahoo Prime have some quality TV shows. I dont use it as a search engine anymore though. I only use it for news and maybe email. Yahoo needs to do something to make their self relevant again. I know they tried to make one of their executives join the Reality show Survivor and she end up as a trainwreck who annoyed people on her first time and gets voted out early on her second try. In other words she didn't give them the publicity they needed.

Peter97 likes this.
  12. KenBrace

KenBraceNew Member

I suppose you have a point here. Yahoo Answers covers all niches.

Personally if I'm interested in a subject then I will most likely already have one or more forum accounts for that niche. So I don't have to create a new account just to ask a question.

I guess it really just comes down to personal preference. I'm a hardcore forum guy. I love everything about forums and I'm very active in the community. However, I know some people who couldn't care less about them. A Yahoo Answers account is much more plausible for them.

bharath and Peter97 like this.
  13. kenzenith

kenzenithNew Member

I only used Yahoo when I was in high school and that was 8 years ago. That was the time when Yahoo was really popular in my school and everyone has their own Yahoo email. However, I came to realize later on that Google is better. Google has better user interface which Yahoo fails to surpass. I like Google's clean interface than Yahoo and how you can easily navigate in Google. What I only like about Yahoo is their trending list which I find really interesting.

14. nailah783

nailah783New Member

People still have yahoo email addresses. I like yahoo's email better than gmail because I don't like how they categorize my emails. Sometimes it's completely wrong, and I can categorize my own emails. It's annoying. I do have both though. My yahoo email has been with me through the years, so most people have that address. It's also the address I use for my resume, so there's that. Other than email though, I can't think of a good reason to use yahoo in comparison to the other platforms.