Which social network is best for promoting a forum?

Discussion in 'Social Media' started by KenBrace, November 19, 2015.

1. KenBrace

KenBraceNew Member

Here's a good question for forum owners. Social media can be a good way to promote a forum but you really have to know what you're doing.

When people use facebook they're typically in a social (as social as the internet can be) mood. They're chatting with friends, commenting on photos, discussing last week's parade, etc. So you'll only have luck advertising on facebook if it's something that will quickly catch people's interest. It can't be too complicated.

People on twitter or more focused on promotion, whether that be self promotion or the promotion of a business. Most people are trying to gain followers to build up a sort of popularity. Other people are trying to promote a business or website of some kind. But with so many people focused on themselves, they can tend to ignore other people's posts. Sometimes is seems like everyone is talking and no one is listening.

Google Plus? Not much to say about it. Haven't done much there.

Then you have Tumblr. Good website for finding interesting photo galleries, blog posts, etc. but I'm not sure about promotion.

I was active on Stumble Upon for a while but eventually lost interest since it took a lot of time. Sort of similar to Twitter in a way. More talking than listening.

So what do you think?

If you could only use one social network to promote your forum then which one would you use, and why?

Looking forward to your answers!

-Ken

2. pwarbi

pwarbiMember

Even though I agree with your thoughts on using Facebook, I still think it's the site were you'll have more luck advertising than any other social network.

Facebook is still the most used form of social media in the world, and while your right when you say that for your site to get any attention, then it will have to catch the eye, that's the case with any sort of marketing full stop so attracting people on Facebook is the same as on any other platform.

3. prissanna

prissannaMember

I use Stumble Upon and just stumble stuff that I run across as well as my blog posts when I make them. I have seen it drive traffic to my blog for sure. I am not quite sure about your statement 'more talking than listening'.

Here is my issue. I have several businesses and I am not sure I can promote them all on Facebook or Instagram or .... you know? It looks like I would be confusing my followers and my businesses don't really coincide with each other. For instance, my blog is about earning extra money on the side where as one of my online stores is a clothing store. I can't promote my blog on my Instagram account where I have most of my clothing business coming from. I don't want to have more than one Instagram account but I just might have to in the future.

KenBrace likes this.
  4. KenBrace

KenBraceNew Member

It might just be that I didn't really know what I was doing. That was many years ago that I was using Stumble Upon.

Perhaps I should give it another try.

Back then I was mostly trying to promote articles that I had written for Factoidz (now Knoji). The more views your articles got, the more you got paid. So that was my objective. It did work to some degree but it wasn't really worth the effort.

I might see how well it works with promoting forums. I know a lot more about SEO and promotion than I did then so it might work out better.

prissanna likes this.
  5. prissanna

prissannaMember

I remember reading that you will be punished on StumbleUpon if you only Stumble your stuff. I try to remember that and Stumble things that I am interested in and think will interest others. I used to Stumble years ago just for fun. I am easily amused. :p

6. bharath

bharathMember

Depends upon the niche and most people are active on so many sites according to their requirement. Try Facebook for all types and Pinterest, Instagram for fashion, clothing forums.

7. Neil_Fisher

Neil_FisherMember

Youtube, Most people these days are too lazy to read text based marketing campaigns as they were too visual. Videos makes everything much more easier. I discovered a Forum about earning money online thanks to a Youtube video. That Youtube video convinced me to register to that site and become an active member. So you can see how effective videos are when it comes to alluring people to click a link and join a website. It is up to your presentation.

8. bharath

bharathMember

In these days Internet charges are very low for downloading and uploading even for GPRS, so carrying an android makes fun to everyone while on the trip.
    People are making too many videos with android and software for promoting their products.
    There are more forums that teaches how to make money from Youtube, can you name the forum that discovered by you.

9. Neil_Fisher

Neil_FisherMember

Workers On board is the forum I discovered on Youtube. That's where I was able to find online earning sites like Lionbridge, Humanatic and Upwork. That Channel basically have this lady who reviews online earning sites that were legit. She have a message board and most members I believe found her on Youtube.

10. bharath

bharathMember

Thanks for sharing it, but searching in Google and visiting to that site gives me some ideas to make money. I know most of them how they make money by using such methods.
    In Upwork job media site we need to have reputation in order to get work. In the past Odesk closed and all the data has been removed, converted it into Upwork.

The lady might making good amount for reviewing these paid reviews. Did you made any money by following her guidance?

Last edited: December 16, 2015
  11. Neil_Fisher

Neil_FisherMember

I did made money because of her Guidance but some of the websites she suggested won't work for me because they were exclusive for Americans. Thankfully her channel have a section for international members looking for online work.

12. remnant

remnantNew Member

I aver that the best social media site for promoting a forum is Twitter. For some reason, Twitter seems to attract serious users as opposed to Facebook.It goes without saying that anyone who visits a forum is looking for specific information. A forum enables one to gain from varied experiences from different individuals and submitting your forum on Twitter is likely to yield dividends.