Writing Site

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by challengewriter, November 21, 2015.

1. challengewriter

challengewriterActive Member

I want to create a website based on a writing competition, in which the writers can become members of the site and have their own profiles. Where it would be easy for the writers to contribute to the site by sharing their stories. I have the details all planned out, the only problem is a suitable web-host for this kind of site, Webs would have been a good site, if not for the fact it denies my payment method.

Also does anyone know how I can go about writing and creating the contents of the website, in which it would be easily found on the search engines?

Your help, is deeply appreciated.

aimayaram likes this.
  2. aimayaram

aimayaramMember

Looks like you want a blog where you can add users. You should be able to do it with Wordpress. There are plugins for adding users, but you need to be careful about giving too many privileges to other people, for example by giving them the admin role. Particularly, the power of modifying other users' profiles is dangerous. Then for the contest, you can use plugins such as ContestHopper. If you can install them on host then it's fine, but if you don't have enough rights (read, write, execute) on some folders then you will need a host such as a VPS (virtual private server), instead of a shared host.

Last edited: November 25, 2015
    prissanna likes this.
  3. challengewriter

@aimayaram I can't use wordpress . org, I simply don't get the hang of it, I don't have enough money to hire someone for the time being either, and everything is pricey or doesn't accept joy payment method, very frustrating.

aimayaram likes this.
  4. aimayaram

aimayaramMember

Okay, I thought it was possible in Wordpress.com directly. Indeed, plugins cannot be installed on that website, for security reasons, because the space is shared between other Wordpress users on the same server. Maybe if some of your friends are programmers, you can tell them to build the website and they will get a commission when the website generates a revenue. But, yes that would cost some money, to buy the hosting, the domain name. And more if the programmer decides to use paid plugins. In the meantime, you can practice building your website for free on your computer, if you find it interesting.

5. nailah783

nailah783New Member

I'm on NewbBay, and they have a forum and a website like this where writers can submit their work, but I'm not sure how they did it. Maybe I can do some research for you and try to see what I can find out. I'm just not sure they would give me the information when we are dealing with a competitive site. I think that your best bet is like Aimayaram said and you may need to hire someone. You might be able to hire someone on Freelancer or Fivrr or something like that to build the site for you for cheaper than you would have to pay otherwise. There are a lot of sites that you can hire independent contractors for a cheaper cost than hiring a company.

6. challengewriter

Thank you Naliah, I would very much appreciate it if you look into it, and you're right about checking freelancing sites, I will look into it.

7. bharath

bharathMember

I understand you want to make a site where ratings can be given to the writers and the stories This can be done with wordpress, Drupal and may be Joomla.
    Do you have a sample site so I can tell you further in making such type. Paid plugins really work great, if you are unable to spend the money then its waste, because we had a lot of competitors in the market.

8. challengewriter

I found a website, webs. It's perfect and I've put together everything and the competition is officially on, you can check the site out and tell me if I need to tweak it challengingthewriter . webs . com

9. nailah783

nailah783New Member

You should change how much stories to how many stories that you receive. That's the only grammatical error that I noticed. Other than that, I just think that there should be something that makes the writer feel like their stories will be secure. I do like the idea, and I think it is a good start, but you will definitely have to do some heavy promoting as there are other sites similar to what you are trying to do here.

10. challengewriter

I know, the promoting isn't so good at the moment, but it is getting somewhere. Well about the securing of the authors work, I'll work on that, because the rights still belongs to them and I won't use any content, I should make a disclaimer.

11. nailah783

nailah783New Member

I think a disclaimer would be a good idea. I know that you are just in the beginning stages of this, but it is a good start. I think that this will be very good once you get it going. Best of luck to you.

12. challengewriter

Yeah, so far since no one is on it, I am taking a break from it till after my exams. Thanks for your suggestion and luck, will surely need it.