How Effective is LinkedIn?

Discussion in 'LinkedIn' started by challengewriter, November 21, 2015.

1. challengewriter

challengewriterActive Member

I have had a LinkedIn account since high-school, I rarely go there to update my profile and only when I receive a notification about some people (connections) I may know. I don't know anyone in which LinkedIn has helped their business or helped get jobs or find potential job opportunities and openings.

Is there anyone who is an active user of the site? And can give me pointers on become a successful LinkedIn user, instead of letting my account seat idle on the internet, instead of using it to reap it's benefits?

MAJID KALANI likes this.
  2. bharath

bharathMember

I totally agree with you, its just fake site that takes data from us and nothing bring in return. I too visit the site long back for making connections and then leave it.
    There are people saying Linkedin makes more profitable business, but from my side it is a fake news. I never got any job connections from joining.
    Everyone account is Idle, but some people interact in them and don't know what they feel or view using Linkedin.

3. pwarbi

pwarbiMember

LinkedIn in my opinion can be worthwhile, but only for the more well known people, in the more well known business circles.

I don't have a profile myself as I just don't see that anybody really cares that much about me and what my career ad been like, or what I can offer others in the future.

If I was the CEO of a multi-million dollar corporation though, I'm sure my LinkedIn profile would get a lot of response.

4. challengewriter

challengewriterActive Member

I see that people use LinkedIn to look for jobs and some company's post job vacancies on there for people who need jobs, I saw this feature, but like I said it's not worthwhile for me. But I think it actually works, I just don't know anyone who it has worked for personally.

5. kenzenith

kenzenithNew Member

Linkedin is very much useful to me because I use it in searching for new jobs or careers. In Linkedin, you can find for your new connections by liking companies, and stating your interests and specialties. Mostly, headhunters use Linkedin for potential recruits. I use Linkedin everyday and I like it.

6. Anuj Dhawan

Anuj DhawanNew Member

Opinions vary.

LinkedIn is meant for professionals. Said that, it does not mean that we're surrounded by non-professionals here. Point is, it requires you to be a real working professional - either you work for someone or you own a business...basically you have to have some professional presence. It's not like Facebook not like Twitter. Where you can have a chit-chat and can still grow your network. I've close to 1000 connections there, no not because of my that photo on that day looked attractive, it's because many of my connections know me professionally, away from my "online avatar" and required my services, one way or other.

pwarbi likes this.
  7. pwarbi

pwarbiMember

That's pretty much what I was saying and on how I view LinkedIn. I think it's a resource that does work, but only for a certain section of people.

On a Facebook account for example, you'll have various friends, family, colleagues and probably a few people you have never met in person but you chat to online on your friends list. You'll upload and share anything from how good or bad your days been, to what your having for dinner.

With a LinkedIn account, you'll only have colleagues and business people on their. People that you know professionally that could enhance your prospects as you could enhance theirs.

If you work in a local shop as a paperboy then you'll have no reason to use LinkedIn. If you OWNED that local shop though, you would.

8. MAJID KALANI

MAJID KALANINew Member

I use LinkedIn to look at researchers’ resume. It helps me a lot especially when I do not have enough time to search through other networks. I use it to communicate with my classmates to arrange our meetings and common scientific activities.

It also helps me to update my information about our university programs. Yesterday when I viewed my page, I found new offers practical and provided for students and professors at our university. It helped me to understand that we can attend or exchange relevant programs presented by other universities. I usually get in touch with my supervisors through LinkedIn, because it is very easy to communicate with them.