Factors to consider before going for a free web hosting?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by nice2cu, November 22, 2015.

1. nice2cu

nice2cuMember

As the name suggests, a free web hosting is a free service offered by web hosting companies. In fact it is a blessing for newbies in this field. It gives an excellent opportunity to learn and be accustomed to web hosting environments. I think it is the best option if you are planning to start a website and not sure of its future. By choosing a free or shared web hosting, you can just start your business at no extra cost and evaluate it performance.

But before selecting a free web hosting service, you should consider its future prospects too. You should study the track record and aware of the various plans being offered by the company. In future when your business becomes an online success, you may opt for a paid hosting service. In that case it would be better to stick with the current service provider than looking for a new one.

Can you point other important factors to look for before selecting a free web hosting service?

2. challengewriter

challengewriterActive Member

I look for the upgrade option, if it is possible to upgrade from the free version to their premium plans then it is very suitable. The free plans aren't basic and very good to use, when a site offers good free things, it tends to incite me more to get the full benefits.

3. pwarbi

pwarbiMember

A lot of the free web hosting services do have the option to upgrade and become a paying member, at the end of the day it's a business after all and that is the only way they'll be able to make money and keep going.

It's better to look for a free web hosting service that offers what you need as a paying member, as if you decide to use the free service, but then change to another, it can be a nightmare to swap everything over.

challengewriter likes this.
  4. Anuj Dhawan

Anuj DhawanNew Member

Free web hosting are good for new comers, as you've said but if you have a final goal to migrate to a paid hosting, I think what pwarbi has said should be considered well. Along with that, I'd also look forward to the reputation they have earned from their support forums. Also, how prompt they are with their support. Also, when you migrate do they allow you to take the database with you or not. At one web-host, they did not allow to move more than 2 MB of DB!

Last edited: December 14, 2015
  5. challengewriter

challengewriterActive Member

It's better it you don't have the means to pay to go for a free web hosting service. Most free have negative drawbacks, despite having a lot of good options available for free, so if you have the means of payment, paying would get you very far.

6. pwarbi

pwarbiMember

While I do agree with you, and if you've got the funds to do it, then paid hosting is the way to go, but these days free, doesn't mean cheap, if that makes sense?

There are a lot of free web hosting services that will provide a user with just as much as a paid service, if that's only to entice the customer in to start off with.

The competition these days is quite fierce so you'll often find the free services will do anything and everything they can to deliver almost as much as a subscription service in the hope that you will eventually sign up with them.

7. nice2cu

nice2cuMember

I agree with you that free web hosting is a marketing tool for the companies to get paid subscribers. They are not doing it for free, it is the most effective marketing technique they can employ. In that case as customers it will become too imperative to check the history of a web hosting company and join only those who has a good track record. Otherwise it would be a headache when you want to upgrade your membership at a later stage. As you already mentioned, it will be a nightmare if you want to switch over to a different web hosting service. So better ensure its service quality at the initial stage itself.

Nobody would actually recommend using a free hosting service due to low quality of service and other risk factors involved. The company is not accountable for any issues as a free member. But I think as a starter it is not bad and you can learn in the process.

8. Anuj Dhawan

Anuj DhawanNew Member

Agree. If you are a new to terms like hosting, Admin control panel, domain name/s, service provider, ISP..well, free hosting is very good to start with. You'll get hold of a lot of things with it. Your mileage may vary but you'll learn a lot if you try.

9. pwarbi

pwarbiMember

Some people have even said that the free service that offeres by some companies is better than the paid service, or just as good as.

Personally I think this is because with a lot of companies, the free service is a way of getting you to subscribe, so they're going to make that service as appealing as possible, then, if and when you do subscribe you often find there's not many more benefits than what you had before.