How to keep yourself safe in shared hosting environment?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by nice2cu, November 25, 2015.

1. nice2cu

nice2cuMember

A shared hosting environment is infamous for low level security. It often provides an unsecured environment which paves the way for hackers access your data with out any major efforts. So, it is very essential to know the basic steps to keep your data safe at least to some extent.

- The first and foremost thing is to use complex passwords. Equally important is to use different passwords if you are using SSH or multiple FTP accounts. Always ensure to keep records of your sensitive information only offline. Do not keep it online.
    - Ensure that the private areas on the site is well sealed off with read-only permission.
    - Take personal initiative to keep regular backup of your site. In a shared hosting platform you can never depend on the hosting company alone.
    - Another important thing is to do a careful study of the track record of web hosting company before joining them.

2. bharath

bharathMember

Shared hosting always sucks because of same IP and same system shared to all users. There is no way to keep secured for shared hosting. We can change password for login information, but not for anything.

If you want to use shared hosting, then choose great companies.

3. nice2cu

nice2cuMember

I agree with your points. In a shared hosting environment we can never ensure full security and the hosting companies want us to go for paid hosting only. They know that shared hosting is more prone to vulnerabilities and ultimately we have to go for a paid option. But for a beginner it is a good thing as he can learn through the process and once his site becomes a hit with a lot of traffic, he can opt for a paid version. But, as you already mentioned it is very essential to check the company's track record and credibility before taking a final call.

As dedicated hosting is quite costly, it is still the option of many who are very budget conscious. But as a matter of fact there should be no compromise of security.

4. bharath

bharathMember

I too agree with your thoughts and statements, but what I knew the last time my blog was attacked by Brute Force. The hosting company asked users to change password however, nothing had happened and heard rumours from all over the internet.